BURNCO Rock Products Limited of Calgary is proposing a large scale gravel mining and crushing facility at McNab Creek in Howe Sound. Details of this 190 Acre Open Pit Mine include:
- Expected output: 1 million to peaks of 4 million tonnes of sand & gravel per year over 20-30 years.
- Will create 12 full time jobs and may displace jobs in BC companies that current supply gravel to Burnco.
- 77-hectare (190 acres) (the comparable size of 11 BC Place Stadiums) open-pit will be dug out of McNab Creek estuary to depths of 55 metres below surface grade and more than 15 metres below the water table.
- Crushing & processing plant will be constructed for sand & gravel to be processed on site, then transported by barge to plants in Burnaby and Port Kells, BC.
- initially the processing plant may be active 12 hours per day, 260 days per year, but if demand is there Burnco would like to run 24/7, 365 days a year and have requested authorization to do so.
- Burnco proposes to remediate site at closure with 77-hectare fake lake in place of the majority of the valley’s delta.